How to download and use Minecraft Pocket Edition (PE) add-ons
Add-ons for Minecraft are usually associated with Java Edition. After all, downloading them to a computer is usually how gamers get them, and the most popular form of add-on is a mod.
However, all forms of Minecraft, including Pocket Edition, have access to add-ons. Here’s how to get them.
How to install add-ons in Minecraft Pocket Edition
For more information on downloading add-ons for any platform, Minecraft players can visit the official Mojang website. On that same website, players can find the qualifying add-ons for their platform.
For Pocket Edition, these instructions will work for iPhone and iPad. The website will have detailed details on how to do this for Android and other devices.
For iPhone and iPad, here are the instructions:
- Open Minecraft.
- Click on the world or add-on that players want to open.
- Open the file with Minecraft.
- In Minecraft, click Open. This will launch Minecraft with the correct file.
- If you open a .McWorld that contains add-ons, the game will tell Minecraft players that they have imported the world successfully. It will be available in the normal “Play” menu of the game.
- If you open a .McPack file, a pop-up notification will alert players that they have successfully imported their pack. This will then be available when editing worlds in the Behavior Pack tab or the Resource Pack tab, depending on the type.
- Players can then play Minecraft on their iPhone / iPad with the selected add-on.
Instructions for other devices are similar, but they differ.
Minecraft previously had add-ons mostly for Java Edition, but they’ve committed to expanding that. Here’s what Mojang had to say about adding add-ons for more platforms:
“Now available on mobile, console and Windows: Add-ons are the first step on our journey to even higher levels of customization for all editions of Minecraft. They allow players to transform the look of their world and even change the behavior of crowds. For example, you can change a climbing plant’s explosion radius or the texture it wears. “
READ ALSOThe article continues below
Add-ons are available from Mojang for all platforms.